Tractor / Trailer Mechanic
Requisition Number 2012-9494
Posted Date 12/3/2013
Category Equipment Services
Interested in this opportunity?
* Apply Now!
Be sure to update your Employment Application by going to yourprofile page.
* Email this opportunity to a friend or colleague
Repair and maintain vehicles as necessary for continuous, safe performance and operating efficiency. BOTH INSIDE & OUTSIDE WORK: Performing tasks where exposure to and protections from weather conditions are both present in significant portions of the time spent working. Incidental, or infrequent exposure or protection is classified under either "Inside", or "Outside" categories. WET AND/OR HUMID: Contact with water or other liquids; or exposure to nonweather-related humid conditions sufficiently high to cause marked bodily discomfort. NOISE AND/OR VIBRATIONS: Constant or intermittent sounds of a pitch or level sufficient to cause marked distraction or possible hearing loss, bodily strain, or harm. Exposure to a shaking object or surface that causes a strain on the body or extremities. HAZARDS: Danger to life, health, or exposure to bodily injury such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, exposure to electrical shock, working in high or exposed places, exposure to burns, radiant energy, explosives, or toxic or caustic chemicals. ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, or any condition affecting the respiratory system or the skin.
1) Repair and maintain New Penn trucks and trailers, and using hand tools, power or pneumatic tools. Perform routine and scheduled PM’s on all company equipment such as tractors, straight-trucks, trailers and forklifts.
2) Demonstrated knowledge of electrical, driveline, brake, suspension and other systems. Ability to work on hydraulic/electric lift-gate equipment. Read job order, follow manuals; observe and listen to troubleshoot and plan work procedures. May discuss with driver nature and extent of damage or malfunction. Drive repaired truck to verify roadworthiness.
3) Inspect parts for wear, visually and with diagnostic instruments. Replace as necessary.
4) Repair or replace defective parts such as starters, alternators, belts, and hoses. Rewire or install new lights, align front wheels, replace and adjust brakes, replace brake chambers, shock absorbers, change or recharge batteries, and repair and maintain coolant systems.
5) Examine protective guards, loose bolts, inspect and maintain safety devices on trucks. Replace, or add gauges or lighting in instrument panel. Replace and adjust headlights; install and repair accessories, such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers. Mend damaged body and fenders by hammering out or filling in dents or welding broken parts. Light fabrication as required.
1) Thorough technical knowledge of all phases of truck and trailer repair.Thorough technical knowledge of all phases of truck and trailer repair.
2) Training and education in diesel engines and related components.
3) Mechanical experience in fleet repair.
4) CDL required, Class A preferred.
5) Must be willing to work all shifts.